Wednesday, September 24, 2008

We're broke.....according to Jag

Jeramie had just come home from his latest Vegas trip and calls me at work and said,
Jer- So Jagger told my mom that we are broke, we have no money, we can't pay our house payment and we are going to have to move.
Me- What????
Jer- Yeah, that is what he told my mom today.
Me- Lightbulb moment. I was sitting watching the news and Emily was setting with me and they were talking about the housing market and how people are loosing their homes because they are unable to pay for them.
Emily- Mom do we have a mortgage? (not the type of conversation that I want to have with a 9 year old that worries too much as it is, but I want to talk to her about it and answer her questions.)
Me- Yep
Emily- Why?
Me- Well most people don't have enough money to just buy a house. Houses are really expensive so most people have to borrow money from banks to buy their home. We make payments every month to the bank and then when we have paid them back we will own our house.
Emily- When we get through paying for our house, we have to move again. (Tears are starting to come)
Me- No, that means we own our house and we don't have to pay anymore payments.
Emily- Do we pay the bank? (I could tell at this point that she is going to need a stomach pill soon)
Me- Yes Em, we pay the bank every month. That is why when you ask for stuff all the time we say no. We have to make sure our bills are paid and then we can decide if it is the right time to buy you a prize. If we don't pay our bills and just buy stuff then we won't be able to buy food, we won't have a car, power etc. So it is really important to pay our bills. Emily, you don't need to worry about anything. Your dad will make sure that we have a house and car and power and food. DON'T WORRY.
I could tell that maybe she didn't quite get it but I hoped that she understood that she didn't have to worry.
Emily- Okay, so can we go and get a snow shack now. (conversation over, point may not have gotten across)
Meanwhile Jagger is playing and paying attention at the same time and only getting bits and pieces and only understanding that he can't get a toy everytime we go to the store because we have to pay our bills. Which means to him that if he can't get a toy then we must be broke, have no money, can't pay our bills and are going to loose our house. Oh how I do love this boy of mine.
So, I tell Jeramie about this conversation and he tells me, call my mom and tell her.

2 comments:

JohnsonandJohnson said...

Good 'ole Jag - spread the love and worry. At least he is keeping us in the loop. And please make sure that Mimi understands - that princess takes everything to heart and she won't foget! I can see her thought process now - Homeless in Bountiful and another move. . .m&d

Gina said...

I love this. Maybe you need to have Muff give Mimi a lamodal. Let me know if you need any money. I'll loan you some.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed